U.S. flag An official website of the United States government.

Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites always use a .gov or .mil domain. Before sharing sensitive information online, make sure you’re on a .gov or .mil site by inspecting your browser's address (or "location") bar.


This site is also protected by an SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate that's been signed by the U.S. government. The https:// means all transmitted data is encrypted  — in other words, any information or browsing history that you provide is transmitted securely.

The following procedures apply to the formation of an Alabama domestic for-profit corporation under Title lOA, Chapter 2, Code of Alabama, 1975, as last amended.

Step 1: The proposed name of the corporation must be reserved with the Business Entities Division of the Office of the Secretary of State. If the proposed name is available, a Certificate of Name Reservation will be issued. Complete a Name Reservation Request Form For Domestic Entities here. Alabama law requires that the name contain the word “corporation” or “incorporated” or an abbreviation of one such word. There is a fee for the certificate, which must be requested through the website.

Step 2: After receiving the Certificate of Name Reservation, the Certificate of Formation may be filed. The necessary forms can be obtained from the Business Services section of the Alabama Secretary of State website.

On December 19, 2019, Secretary of State John H. Merrill warned the business community of a misleading letter from the “AL Certificate Service” being circulated across the state. Secretary Merrill warned, “This group is not associated with the state. Business entities looking to obtain their official Certificate of Existence should contact our office directly at (334) 242-5324.” Learn More

For questions contact:
Office of the Secretary of State
Business Services Division
P.O. Box 5616
Montgomery, Alabama 36103-5616